Date Information Last Verified: 03/12/2023
Standards for Permanent Credential
The standards listed below reflect the minimum requirements to work as an educational interpreter in this state.
- Pre-Service Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Skill Verification: RID, EIPA 3.5, State Test
- Knowledge Verification: Yes, EIPA:WT
- Renewal Timeline: N/A
- Continuing Education: N/A
- Additional Comments: Requirements for interpreters begin on p. 61 of documentation. Certificate requires 36 semester hours of post-secondary education. There are two different provisional credentials.
Standards for Provisional Credential
- Is a provisional credential available? Yes
- What is required for the provisional credential? Two types: (1) Restricted: 36 semester hours, Sign Support Specialist PD plan, proof of having taken required assessment(s) at least once (and annually for renewal); (2) Initial: 36 semester hours or hours plus EIPA:WT, and performance exam EIPA 3.0+, NAD III+, RID, NIC, or QAS II+
- How long can one hold a provisional credential? Three years. Renewal requires 15 hours of WVDE-approved PD, satisfaction of WVRID requirements, employing county superintendent recommendation.
For a list of current NAIE State Ambassadors click here.
For a list of currently available programs in your state visit the Conference of Interpreter Trainers (CIT) website.
Contact email@example.com to update or correct the information above.