Leilani Johnson Leadership Award
In June 2016, at the NAIE inaugural national conference, the Board of Directors announced the establishment of the Leilani Johnson Leadership Award (LJLA) by presenting Dr. Leilani Johnson with the award. Dr. Johnson has been a visionary, champion, and leader in the field of educational interpreting for over 25 years. Annually, this award is granted to an interpreter working in education who exemplifies the leadership qualities that Dr. Johnson has demonstrated throughout her career. Nominated by their peers, the award recipient will receive a commemorative plaque and recognition from NAIE.
Characteristics of exemplary service will be evident by:
- leadership in the field of educational interpreting
- modeling of professionalism
- continued participation in professional development
- advocacy for appropriate working conditions for educational interpreters
- continued focus on excellence in services for the benefit of deaf, hard of hearing, and deafblind students
The specific work settings of educational interpreters can vary greatly (e.g., mainstream schools, deaf schools, general education classrooms, special education classrooms, postsecondary courses, etc). Priority consideration will be given to those who interpret in a PK-12 setting. However, postsecondary interpreter nominations will be considered as well.
To ensure full consideration of the nomination, nominees must be
- a member in good standing of NAIE;
- an interpreter working in an PK-12 or postsecondary educational setting with at least 5 years experience as an educational interpreter; and
- a person who has shown characteristics of exemplary service and leadership.
Nominees cannot be a current member of the NAIE Board of Directors.
Nominations will be submitted through an online application, and must include:
- Both the nominator’s and nominee’s complete name and contact information.
- A letter in written English (max. 300 words) and/or ASL video (max. 3 minutes), detailing the nominee’s background, experience, and leadership in the field of educational interpreting.
Nominations for the 2020 LJLA will close on Friday June 12, 2020 at 11:59pm EST