Rhode Island

NAIE State Ambassador

About State Ambassadors

Vacant – Contact Vice President at vicepresident@naiedu.org for more information

Date Information Last Verified


Contact info@naiedu.org to update or correct the information below.

State Documentation

State Agency Website 

Standards for Permanent Credential

The standards listed below reflect the minimum requirements to work as an educational interpreter in this state.

  • Pre-Service Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent
  • Skill Verification:  RID, EIPA 4.0 (Ed:K-12)
  • Knowledge Verification:  Yes, EIPA or RID Written
  • Renewal Timeline: Annual
  • Continuing Education: 5 Hours Annually
  • Additional Comments: There is an “educational interpreter license” with “successful completion of the EIPA written and performance tests”. In the definitions section, “educational interpreter” means “an individual who has specialized certification (elementary and secondary education for grades kindergarten (K) through twelve (12)) and is a certified member of RID or its successor agency approved by the Department in consultation with the Board in the provision of sign language interpreting to students who are deaf, hard-of-hearing or deaf-blind in grades preschool through twelve (12).” Thus, it seems this is a 4.0+ Ed:K-12 requirement.

Standards for Provisional Credential 

  • Is a provisional credential available? No
  • What is required for the provisional credential? N/A
  • How long can one hold a provisional credential? N/A

Interpreter Training Programs

For a list of currently available programs in your state visit the Conference of Interpreter Trainers (CIT) website.