Standards for Permanent Credential
Date Information Last Verified: 03/12/2023
The standards listed below reflect the minimum requirements to work as an educational interpreter in this state.
- Pre-Service Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Skill Verification: Generalist (Permitted in K-12): KQAS 4/4, RID (CSC, CI/CT, IC, CDI, IOC, IC/TC, CLIP, TC, NIC, NIC Advanced, NIC Master), BEI (Master, Advanced); Educational (K-12 Only): EIPA 4.0, ESSA 4.0
- Knowledge Verification: N/A
- Renewal Timeline: 2 Years
- Continuing Education: 30 hours per renewal cycle
- Additional Comments: Interpreters may work without the EIPA as long as they are registered and supervised, but the KDOE does not reimburse for interpreters with less than an EIPA 3.5 unless they are on a provisional plan. To see the most updated reimbursement requirements, see the Special Education Reimbursement Guide for the current year here.
Standards for Provisional Credential
- Is a provisional credential available? Yes
- What is required for the provisional credential? KCDHH supervision plan
- How long can one hold a provisional credential? Until an EIPA 4.0 is achieved