Date Information Last Verified: 03/12/2023
Standards for Permanent Credential
The standards listed below reflect the minimum requirements to work as an educational interpreter in this state.
- Pre-Service Education: Four Options: (1) 60 semester hours (2) AA/AS from an accredited college (3) 4 on the ACT WorkKeys or ParaPro test and a HS diploma (4) pass RID written test and a HS diploma
- Skill Verification: RID, EIPA 3.5+, BEI
- Knowledge Verification: No
- Renewal Timeline: 5 Years
- Continuing Education: 50 hours per cycle
- Additional Comments: The license for education is different from the state license for community interpreters. Cued Speech Interpreter TSC 3+ and National Intervener Certification E-portfolio (NICE) can also qualify for license.
Standards for Provisional Credential
- Is a provisional credential available? Yes
- What is required for the provisional credential? EIPA 3.0+ and proof of education (same options above with permanent credential pre-service education)
- How long can one hold a provisional credential? Up to 2 years