Standards for Permanent Credential

Date Information Last Verified: 03/10/2023

The standards listed below reflect the minimum requirements to work as an educational interpreter in this state.

  • Pre-Service Education:    AA/AS in Educational Interpreting AND 48 semester credits at a BA level with 3 credits for math and 3 for English (semester credits can be part of AA/AS degree earned)
  • Skill Verification:   RID Certification, EIPA 3.5, HQAS III
  • Knowledge Verification:   N/A
  • Renewal Timeline:  N/A
  • Continuing Education:  N/A
  • Additional Comments:  Hawaii Department of Education has three classification levels for interpreters;  two levels require an EIPA 3.5 or HQAS 3 and the other requires an EIPA 4.0+ or HQAS 4. RID certification is accepted for either, and years of experience determine the level.

Standards for Provisional Credential

  • Is a provisional credential available?   No
  • What is required for the provisional credential?  N/A
  • How long can one hold a provisional credential?  N/A

State Resources

For a list of current NAIE State Ambassadors click here.

For a list of currently available programs in your state visit the Conference of Interpreter Trainers (CIT) website.

Contact info@naiedu.org to update or correct the information above. 

Scroll to Top