Standards for Permanent Credential
Date Information Last Verified: 03/10/2023
The standards listed below reflect the minimum requirements to work as an educational interpreter in this state.
- Pre-Service Education: AA/AS in Educational Interpreting AND 48 semester credits at a BA level with 3 credits for math and 3 for English (semester credits can be part of AA/AS degree earned)
- Skill Verification: RID Certification, EIPA 3.5, HQAS III
- Knowledge Verification: N/A
- Renewal Timeline: N/A
- Continuing Education: N/A
- Additional Comments: Hawaii Department of Education has three classification levels for interpreters; two levels require an EIPA 3.5 or HQAS 3 and the other requires an EIPA 4.0+ or HQAS 4. RID certification is accepted for either, and years of experience determine the level.
Standards for Provisional Credential
- Is a provisional credential available? No
- What is required for the provisional credential? N/A
- How long can one hold a provisional credential? N/A
For a list of current NAIE State Ambassadors click here.
For a list of currently available programs in your state visit the Conference of Interpreter Trainers (CIT) website.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to update or correct the information above.