Call for Membership Director
Serving on NAIE’s Board of Directors
The NAIE Board is a group of professionals who are dedicated to the mission of NAIE. The Board is considered a “working board” as our organization primarily relies on volunteer efforts. Ongoing weekly tasks, as well as time for strategic planning for the organization, are both a part of our routine commitment to NAIE.
Diversity in Nonprofit Board Leadership
Nonprofit boards continue to face a problem with a lack of diversity in board leadership. NAIE recognizes that we, too, have this issue. We want to ensure the collective voice we promote at the national level is not only representative of demographics within our professional membership but also the diversity of our consumers (both deaf and hearing).
We encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply to become a board member, state ambassador, or volunteer within our organization. All volunteers are welcome!
Membership Director Position Description
This role is responsible for managing our membership database. Much of this role requires organization and customer service skills such as tracking members and payments, troubleshooting issues with accessing the member portal, and documenting trends in membership.
The next Membership Director will be supporting the NAIE Board with developing a more robust database of members as well as creating opportunities to engage with members virtually.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to self-manage, establish priorities, organize workflow, follow-up and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of Google Drive, WordPress, and PayPal a plus
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Membership Director should plan on approximately 3-4 hours per week or roughly 20 hours a month on NAIE work.
- The next Membership Director will be provided training to transition and the goal will be to fully transition by September 1st.
- The Board currently meets on a monthly basis online via video conference, once a year for a face-to-face retreat, and on conference years board members are expected to attend the conference.*
- Other time commitments and responsibilities will be fluid depending on projects.
*Travel and other expenses are covered for board members doing work for NAIE.
Benefits of Board Service
- Influence positive change and make a difference in the field of educational interpreting
- Increase your national network of professional contacts
- Attend the National Conference on Interpreting in Education hosted by NAIE
If interested in joining the NAIE Board please submit a letter of interest along with a resume highlighting any volunteer service and leadership positions to email@example.com no later than August 1st, 2020. In your letter, please answer the following questions:
- What makes our mission meaningful to you?
- What types of privilege are present in your life and their impact on your professional journey thus far?
- What gaps or opportunities would you hope to address while serving on the NAIE board?
- What skills, connections, resources, and expertise do you have to offer and are willing to use on the behalf of the organization?
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.