Standards for Permanent Credential

Last Updated: 03/09/2023

The standards listed below reflect the minimum requirements to work as an educational interpreter in this state.

  • Pre-Service Education: High School Diploma or GED
  • Skill Verification:  License: RID Certification, EIPA 4.0+, BEI Master or BEI V; Permit: EIPA 3.0-3.9, BEI Advanced, BEI (III, IV), NCSA
  • Knowledge Verification: EIPA:WT for license or permit with the EIPA (RID (CASLI) and BEI already include a written/knowledge component)
  • Renewal Timeline: Annual
  • Continuing Education: 20 hours annually
  • Additional Comments: Interpreters must have license, not a permit, to interpret in legal settings. There is an old provision in the law that interpreters hired to work in educational settings prior to March 15, 2000 could apply by October of 2000 for an educational interpreter permit that was restricted to educational settings only. If interpreters have kept this current, they may still hold this type of permit.

Standards for Provisional Credential

  • Is a provisional credential available? Yes
  • What is required for the provisional credential? 3 letters of recommendation from licensed interpreters and satisfy educational requirement (HS diploma or GED)
  • How long can one hold a provisional credential? One year

State Resources

For a list of current NAIE State Ambassadors click here.

For a list of currently available programs in your state visit the Conference of Interpreter Trainers (CIT) website.

Contact to update or correct the information above. 

Scroll to Top